Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cheese and cucumber - a good combo?

Today's bentos reminded me that I can get "fancy" without using many tools.  I've really been wanting to make something "cute" but my brain isn't working so well at 10pm, when I get around to making these things.  Instead I decided to swap some flavors/centers and see what the kids thought.  So, here's what I mean:
How about some cucumber and cheese?  I knew that I would put some cucumber in the kids lunches, but the circles were almost too big for the silicone cups.  So, I decided to cut out the centers.  Then I cut out cheese shapes.  Ding - light bulb.  So, I didn't get a chance to ask the kids (totally forgot), but everything in the bento was gone when they brought them home.  So, I guess it all went over pretty well.  I'll give you a run down, using the one on the right.
Contents:  Cheese stars, and cucumber circles.  grapes, mini red and yellow tomatoes, cucumber stars, strawberry, mini brownie muffins, bologne and cheese wraps.  All went well, and they all fit.  Yum.  I also added a applesauce to my daughter's lunch, and a granola bar to my son's - you know, just in case they were still hungry.  The extras were gone.

Little munchkin came with me to an appointment, so instead of just packing up some fish crackers, I packed up a snack size bento for her as well with finger foods that she could eat, and hopefully not get herself (or anyone else) dirty.  It worked out fairly well.  Actually she fell asleep on the way home, so it was mostly her lunch too!

Contents:  Fish crackers (so, I did need to have them there!), raisins, mini tomatoes, strawberries, and a granola bar that I won't include next time because it was dipped in chocolate.  Bad idea.  Live and learn I guess.  At least she had the granola at home after she woke up.

That's it for now.
Rella
BTW... still waiting for my bento shipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment